When interviewing new drivers for your fleet, you’ll want to think carefully about your methods— including asking the right questions. What you ask a driver about their background, experience, and on-the-job processes can tell you a lot about how they’d fit on your team.
With that in mind, here are the top 27 best questions to ask a truck driver during their interview.
General Truck Driver Interview Questions
Broader questions about the interviewee and their fit for the job will help you know more about them, their experience, and how they work.
You can learn a lot by asking about their background and why they applied for this position:
- Why do you think you’re a good fit for this position?
- Why do you want to work for [company name]?
- Are you comfortable with the travel demands of the job?
- What credentials and experience do you have that qualify you to be a CDL driver?
- Do you have any special licenses or certifications?
- How is your driving record? Does it include any accidents or violations?
- What are three words you would use to describe yourself?
- What strengths would you bring to this truck driver job?
- Can you describe your career path plans?
Some of these questions might be a little uncomfortable for the candidate (such as asking about their driving record), but that’s not the point. How the candidate responds to a question about a previous violation will show their level of transparency and willingness to take accountability.
On-the-Job Truck Driver Interview Questions
Beyond general questions, you’ll want to ask the candidate how they handle work-related problems. The answers will give you a glimpse into how the candidate works through challenges and makes decis
For example, you can ask for specific examples of how the interviewee solved a difficult situation at a previous job. Here are some other options:
- When was a time you made a mistake on-the-job? How did you handle the situation?
- How do you deal with work-related stress? Please give examples related to truck driving, if you can.
- What methods do/would you use to stay motivated during long drives?
- Can you describe an instance at work where you faced an unexpected challenge (for example, a sudden mechanical breakdown)?
- What abilities and skills make you a good fit for the job duties?
- What is one of your greatest successes on the job?
Trucking Industry-Specific Truck Driver Interview Questions
Of course, you’ll also need to test the candidate’s knowledge of the trucking industry and understand how they work through trucking-specific problems.
Some good question examples include:
- What is your process for planning your routes?
- Have you had to learn to operate a new piece of equipment? If so, how did you handle it?
- How would you handle it if you got into an accident with another vehicle?
- How do you develop solid professional relationships with customers?
- Have you ever had a major issue with a shipment? If so, how did you fix it, and what did you tell the customer?
- How do you make sure you’re always awake and alert while driving?
- How do you feel about slip seating?
- What methods do you use to ensure you meet deadlines?
- How do you handle breakdowns or other unexpected situations?
- Have you ever gotten incorrect information from a dispatcher? If so, how did you handle it?
- Why does stopping at weigh stations matter?
- What do you know about essential truck maintenance?
You should also end the interview by asking if the candidate has questions for you. Try to leave enough time for this, as the questions they ask can tell you about their knowledge and enthusiasm about the job.
These are some of the best truck driver interview questions to ask. Narrow down the ones that are most important to you and your fleet. And if you need help recruiting your ideal truck driver candidates, contact AMG Driver Recruitment today.